We have a lot of fun, and much-needed improvements that are taking place at Camp Wa-Ri-Ki and we’re excited for you to see them. From a totally upgraded fire pit bleacher area to the brand new WaRiKi Retreat Center to bunk house renovations, the Camp is really moving ahead. And, remodeling at Camp WaRiKi is set to continue through the end of the decade.
This work is in keeping with a 5-year plan and the Camp Board has been working with University of Washington business students to ensure a bright future for WaRiKi. Below we have some more details on the great upgrades our campers are now enjoying.
Remodeling at Camp WaRiKi Continues
One of our other current projects is our Shop/Craft room remodel. Last year we completed structural repairs, and we also repaired damage to the floor joists and beams. Now we are starting to build out a small staff apartment and re-purpose the craft rooms into one large conference room with two bathrooms. We plan to move the craft tables outside on the covered decks.
We are also making repairs to the shop itself which should be complete by summer 2019. This is under the the direction of the Board and our wonderful caretakers Mike (a licensed contractor) and Diana Richards (much thanks to the Richards for all they have worked on).
Campfire area before
New Dorm Mattresses
Dorm Bathrooms Remodeled
Retreat Center was a major project
New Retreat Center at Camp WaRiKi
Check out the layout of our new retreat center, apartment, and bunkhouse. We will soon be renting them for $15 per person per night with a minimum of $75 a night. The apartment is complete and furnished.
We are working now on bunk beds for the bunkhouse, which will hopefully be done by spring.
Other Current Camp Upgrade Projects Include:
- All new vinyl windows (29) will replace the leaky, broken, boarded up single pane original windows. Cascade Windows provided the windows.
- Take out interior walls to create a 500 SF conference/meeting room.
- Build two new bathrooms for the meeting room.
- Relocate all shop parts and materials to the upstairs parts room
- New wood stove and chimney pipe which we will use to heat the shop.
- Upgrade to LED lighting
- Repair sliding shop doors
- Convert old parts area to small one bedroom apartment for staff and volunteers
- Completely re-paint interior and exterior
- Large ceiling fans to circulate air
Stay tuned for more Remodeling at Camp WaRiKi and improvements as we work on our dream list! We can’t wait to see you soon at Camp Wa-Ri-Ki! And, we’re always looking for volunteers, sponsors, and donors that can help us keep up the momentum for the kids camp experiences.