Renting Camp Wa-Ri-Ki: F.A.Q.s
Camp Wa-Ri-Ki, maintained by District 44 Kiwanis Clubs and other volunteers, is a forested recreational camp, located on the Washougal River in Skamania County, Washington. The camp is complete with a commercial kitchen, dining hall, gym, class/meeting rooms, dorms with bunk beds, indoor plumbing and recently remodeled hot showers. A Camp Caretaker/Host lives on the site year around and other Camp Staff may be working at the site during the year.
What are your Camp user fees?
- Reservation Fee: A reservation fee of $500 is required to hold a date. This will be applied to the overall cost of your stay. If your group has less than 50 persons, the minimum overnight fee is still required ($420 off season/$750 peak season). Reservantion fees are non-refundable. 50% of expected rental fees must be paid 90 days in advance.
- Peak Season (June 1 thru August 31) — $15 per person, per day, with a minimum of 50 persons. There is a non-refundable deposit of $500 required. It may be applied to the overall cost of your stay or held over for next year’s booking.
- Off Season (September 1 thru May 31) — Contact us. We have some cost differences in the Winter months due to increased utility and maintenance fees, but you will find the Camp a great selection for a soothing retreat still at very affordable rates. Kitchen and large indoor gymnasium plus inside meeting areas for all weather situations (additional fees may apply -- check with Camp Host).
- Day Use Fees: There is $8.00 per person DAY USE FEE for guests of groups renting the Camp if those guests only stay for the day’s events and do not use the Camp to stay overnight.
- Retreat Center: The Retreat Center holds up to 26 and includes a kitchen and meeting/dining areas. Figure $15 per person, with additional amenities available (ie. the Media Center Meeting Room) for an extra fee of $25.
- Amenities: In Winter, there will be an extra fee for Gym rental based on cost of heating and length of use — check with your Camp host. In addition we have a new Media Center meeting room (Summer of 2019) available for rental at $30 per day. High speed internet/WiFi is available for limited data use with a fee of $20 per day. Data use is billed at $10/GB used. RV hookups are available with a fee of $15 per day for the duration of your stay (includes water & electrical hook-up. Waste dump is available).
- Check in & Check out Times: Check in time is 3pm on the date of arrival. Early arrivals must wait until your group contact/liaison and Camp Staff have completed the walk through inspection. Early check-in fee of $75 per hour applies to all early check-ins. Camp check out time is 12pm on the date of your departure. A walk through inspection should be completed by 11:30am that day by your group contact/liaison and Camp Staff. Late check out fee of $75 per hour applies to all late check outs.
What are the total beds available?
The Camp can accommodate 200+ sleeping (Boys dorm has 63 beds in 3 rooms; Girls Dorms have 69 beds in 4 rooms; Staff Rooms will seep 12 in 6 rooms). There is a kitchen dorm room that will sleep 14. There are 8 distinct meeting areas, not counting outdoor spaces. The Retreat Center sleeps 10 and includes its own kitchen — it has an attached bunkhouse that sleeps 16.
How many outdoor group meeting areas are there?
Currently, in addition to the main campfire and stage area, there are 3 other outside group meeting places with seating and a deck off of the main dining room.
What Activities Are Available?
Groups and campers can pursue various outdoor activities in a natural setting with camp conveniences near by. Enjoy a range of unplugged adventures, ranging from a simple nature walk to an extensive study of the environment. Hike or drive to the Washougal River Fish Hatchery (just 1 mile away) or the beautiful Dougan Falls (just 1/4 mile away). There is access to the Washougal River, but please be advised that the river is a protected habitat all along our property, so no fishing is allowed.
Can I rent the entire camp exclusively?
Yes. For an extra fee you may rent the entire Camp (up to 185 campers). Total Camp rental fee is +$100. Check our rental calendar for available dates. Note that we charge the extra fee because then we cannot rent out the retreat center or lodging to other groups.
If we only rent the Dorms (165 people), might there be other groups at the Camp at the same time?
Yes, this is possible. We have a resort like policy, where if a group does not rent the entire Camp another group may rent the Retreat Center or Lodge during the same calendar dates. Check our rental calendar for available dates.
Are pets allowed?
Camp WaRiKi prohibits guests from bringing animals on the premises. No pets or service animals are allowed.
What is your alcohol policy?
As of March 2019, our policy is that for groups with insurance and an service permit, that beer and wine may be served with Camp Wa-Ri-Ki shown on your insurance policy as second insured party.
If alcoholic beverages will be served, five (5) requirements must be met:
- A Washington State Liquor Control Board Banquet Permit or Special Occasion License must be obtained by the renter or provided by the renter’s caterer, and a copy of the permit must be given to Vancouver UCC no later than one week prior to the scheduled rental. Please go to https://lcb.wa.gov/licensing/special-licenses-and-permits to apply for permits or licenses. Please be aware you need to complete this process well in advance of your event.
- A copy of your bartender’s current, valid Washington State Class 12 Mixology Permit or Class 13 Service permit card. Only bartenders with current, valid Washington State server licenses may serve alcohol of any kind.
- Liquor Liability Insurance is required in addition to the certificate of insurance
- Beer, wine, and champagne may be served (by the glass) and by a designated, licensed bartender. No mixed drinks or “hard alcohol” can be served. No exceptions.
- All alcoholic beverages and empty containers must be removed from the building before leaving.
Any set-up and clean-up done by the caterer or renter must take place within the rented time period. This also applies to the delivery and pick-up of cakes, flowers, music, and rental items such as decorations.
Does the Camp provide meals?
At this time, the Camp does not provide a meal service, though it is possible that catering may be arranged (speak with your Camp Host). Stay tuned (sign up for our newsletter) — we have a 5 year strategic plan in the works that includes recreational upgrades, new buildings and staffing that may include a Camp Cook.
What if we want to use other facilities at the Camp, like the Gym and the large Kitchen?
Retreat Center guests enjoy their own kitchen within their lodge, and may add other amenities like Commercial Kitchen, Crafts Area, Outside Tent Area, Media Meeting Room, Gymnasium & Sports field(s) —— only if a simultaneous large group has not reserved these. Check with your Camp host. In general, amenity use requires a small fee up charge. All Campers may take advantage of the scenic Dougan Falls recreation area just to the north of the Camp, and other nearby attractions like the fish hatchery, approximately a quarter mile south of the Camp.
Do you have Camp T-shirts available?
Yes. We have an online store where you may order T-shirts and sweatshirts in a variety of colors, starting at $12.95 each. A portion of the proceeds go to the Camp development fund.
I want to make a donation -- are you a registered non-profit?
Yes. And that means your donations are tax deductible. We are registered with the State of Washington as an organization eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions. Our EIN number is 23-7293852 You may make a donation online securely.