History

The camp’s grounds were used  as an Honor Camp for inmates of the Larch Mountain Honor Camp after it was built in the 1950s and into the 1960s. In 1973, the grounds were turned over the Kiwanis organization to run a camp serving children with special needs, as well as the elderly. Over the years it has transformed into an outdoor school setting where many local school districts utilized the facilities.

Most recently, the camp is primarily used by church youth groups, schools, and other community organizations.

Milestones:

1950: ?? Facilities built

1973: Kiwanis is granted authority to lease camp to youth with special needs

19??: First outdoor schooll

2000: 10 year lease is signed by the camp’s Board and Skamania County

2012: 50 year lease is signed by the camp’s Board and Skamania County

Share This
SEO